
Real Betis have reportedly withdrawn their transfer offer for Antony in a dramatic twist to the tale. The winger has been widely tipped to leave Manchester United ahead of Monday's deadline, having been deemed surplus to requirements. A return to Betis had looked the most likely option following his successful loan spell at the La Liga club last season.
Earlier on Friday, it was reported that United had accepted an offer in the region of £21.6million. The deal included another £2.5m in performance-related bonuses, with the Red Devils also inserting a 50 per cent sell-on clause. However, it seems the move has been put in serious doubt with Betis stalling over the figures involved.
They have withdrawn their offer after deciding they cannot afford the transfer fee, according to BBC Sport. It is also said that Betis are refusing to pay up over extra payments that Antony was supposed to receive.
He still has two years remaining on his contract at Old Trafford, which is believed to be worth around £6m per year. He would face a wage cut at Betis and The Athletic say that he is seeking a way to secure a shortfall of nearly £4m that he would encounter.
Betis are reportedly unwilling to go any higher to cover that amount of money, meaning the proposed transfer has been placed in limbo.
For the latest breaking stories and headlines, sign up to our Daily Express MUFC newsletter, or join our WhatsApp community here.
United are said to believe that it is simply a bargaining tactic from Betis, who they hope will return to the table before the transfer window closes on Monday.
It remains to be seen how things will play out over the weekend, with time running out for a deal to be struck between the two clubs.
Antony impressed on loan at Betis last season, scoring nine goals in 26 games following his loan move in January. Reflecting on his spell, he told Brazilian media that he found happiness there following a difficult couple of years at United.
"I always say that I had good moments but I had very difficult moments too, not only on the field but off it," he said in May.
"I went through some very difficult times there that ended up affecting me a lot, but I am very grateful even for these difficult moments that I went through. Today I feel much more mature, much more prepared, I feel much better.
"It was a moment when I thought about stopping playing. I no longer felt that desire to play football because of everything I was going through, because of all the accusations and because I had remained silent for so long.
"[My career] has changed a lot [at Betis]. It changed a lot because I needed to find myself, for everything I went through there in my personal life."
For the latest breaking stories and headlines, sign up to our Daily Express transfer newsletter.
You may also like
'Beautifully filmed' BBC costume drama is unmissable as fans call for it to be longer
US issues travel warning to China: 'Enhanced precautions' urged amid disease spread; Beijing revives COVID-era measures
Health scheme extended to 500 cadets discharged on medical grounds
Emmerdale's Robert Sugden vows to stop Aaron leaving as he 'rumbles' Mack twist
Appeals court halts Trump's bid to end protected status for Venezuelans