Next Story
Newszop

Chelsea perform major transfer U-turn after realising severity of injury to £30m star

Send Push

Chelsea have told Bayern Munich that they are pulling the plug on Nicolas Jackson's loan move. The Senegal striker, who had been set to join the Bundesliga champions on a season-long deal and had flown to Germany on Saturday morning, has been asked to return, leaving him furious.

Chelsea had agreed a deal with Bayern for Jackson to move to Bavaria for the remainder of the 2025-26 season. Bayern also had an option to make the deal permanent for £69million - with growing suggestions in Germany that this will be Harry Kane's final season at the German giants.

But the Blues' U-turn comes after new £30m forward Liam Delap suffered a hamstring injury during Saturday's Premier League win over Fulham. Chelsea head coach Enzo Maresca revealed post-match that the England Under-21 international is set to be out of action for up to eight weeks.

READ MORE: Fans fume at latest VAR controversy as Premier League issue explanation - 'Game's gone'

READ MORE: Furious Marco Silva slams 'unbelievable' VAR decision after controversial Chelsea win

Speaking to TV post-match, Maresca said: "Liam Delap is expected to be out for six to eight weeks because of this type of injury."

He followed up in his post-match press conference: "Liam's injury doesn't look good in terms of, he was full speed, hamstring, so that required, like always, weeks.

"And then in terms of another striker, to be honest, we just finished the game from the changing room and came here for the press conference, so now after, when we finish, we're going to sit and we'll see if we take any decision. That's all."

image

Asked whether he had enough No.9 options, the Chelsea boss added: "When you have two strikers, it's enough. When one of them is injured for different weeks, probably it's not enough. Today we played more than one hour with Tyrique [George], and he did brilliant. The last game he played as a No.9 was Man United at home last year. Again, we try to use a different solution. If you remember last year, we used Pedro [Neto] in some games as a No.9.

"It's because we are always looking for a solution, but for sure when you have two proper No.9s, it's enough."

When asked if a Jackson U-turn was possible, Maresca said: "I just finished the game, came here and have no idea. We’re going to sit now and we’ll see. Honestly, I have no idea."

That decision was swiftly made by club chiefs however, with the striker that had been dumped this summer now called back into the fray. Jackson, who has scored 24 Premier League goals since joining from Villarreal two years ago, had been looking forward to leaving, amid worries over his game time in a World Cup year and is said to be angry at what has transpired.

Bayern sporting director Max Eberl, speaking ahead of his side's clash with Augsburg, responded when asked: "Transfers are only finalised once the signatures are in place. He [Jackson] is there, and then we'll see. We'll take a closer look at it after the game and act accordingly.

"It's easy to understand: You negotiate, you reach an agreement, then comes the medical check, and extraordinary things still happen. I can’t say what’s going on now."

Join our new WhatsApp community and receive your daily dose of Mirror Football content. We also treat our community members to special offers, promotions, and adverts from us and our partners. If you don't like our community, you can check out any time you like. If you're curious, you can read our Privacy Notice.

Loving Newspoint? Download the app now